Best referee in the world and funny too…!
Here are some of his best on-field quotes:
“Don’t swear, now, you’re on telly, mun.”
- To New Zealand’s Dan Carter in the 2015 World Cup Final
“I don’t think we’ve met before, but I’m the referee… this is not soccer.”
- Probably his most famous refrain, when dealing with complaining players, uttered first to a protesting Treviso scrum-half Tobias Botes playing against Munster
“If you want to cuddle, do it off the field, not on it.”
- To fighting players in a Harlequins vs Wasps match.
“You’re both acting very immature.”
- To a brawling Mike Brown and Yoann Huget after a disagreement in a match between England and France.
“I can’t give you the three points but I’ll give you a go at them.”
- In response to a captain indicating he wishes to attempt a kicked penalty by saying his side will “take the three”.
“The hands out law changed three years ago, where have you been?”
- To a very-offside Cian Healy at the ruck.
- To Chris Robshaw who was complaining about a French player lying around the base of a ruck.
“The football stadium is 500 yards that way.”
- During a Leicester v Ulster match at Welford Road, which is a stone’s throw from the King Power.